Guest Speaker #1


Blog #5
Talk about our 1st Guest speaker

On Feb 7, 2018, Erik Hanberg came to our class to talk to us about his entrepreneurship journey. He is a man that has several businesses including Side x Side, his own Podcast company, and he published a few books. I was really amazed that he was a writer and also manages multiple businesses.  His best selling book is titled The Little Book of Boards. The reason he said that this book did so well is because people are looking for information for a specific niche and he did his research on the market and timed it really well. He also was on the board of directors for Metro Parks, so he has a lot of experience and wisdom on that topic. I was also really intrigued about his podcast company. I am not really experienced in that market and I know it is something that is booming in today's market. I like how his company is solely focused on Tacoma. He has researched that Tacoma is expanding at a high rate and more and more people are moving to Tacoma. He also stated that there isn't any coverage on just Tacoma, because they tend to group Tacoma with Seattle. I think this is really smart because it allows locals and new people that move to Tacoma to learn more about the city and find a nice community. I did ask a question about how to protect you intellectual property, and he stated that he hasn't really done anything to protect his work. I was thinking more like how would he protect his books or his brand or his logo for his companies. He did mention that people do pirate his books if they really wanted too and he said that he doesn't mind if they do. I know that piracy is really really bad and that people will find ways to get stuff for free. At the end I learned a lot about becoming an entrepreneur and it was great to have him tell us his story.

Comments

Popular Posts